Friday, February 26, 2010

shipshape

I've been revising Kodoku, the play. Out of sheer perversity, I am posting an entire scene on this blog. As my mom says, "If you don't like it, there are seven other ways to look."


SCENE 2: A PARK

(A wooded area, a large stream, a place of soft light and soft shadows where one dreams, be dreams large or small. In the back corner of the stage the workers continue to build the boat.
A spotlight falls on Kenichi, who is holding a model sailboat. )

KENICHI
The world needs sailors. Sailors have been around since the earliest days of civilization. Before sailing, everyone was bored and stayed at home all day eating radishes, or, if people went onto the water, they had to row, row, row-- like the song says, and who wants to row?It's really no fun at all. I think the Pharaohs invented slavery just so they wouldn't have to pick up an oar themselves. And if you weren't rowing you were just-- adrift. Luckily, sailing was invented and everything was okay for a while.

(Kenichi's spotlight goes dark. Another light reveals Susumu slinking with exaggerated disrepute through the forest.)

SUSUMU
Susumu, the master thief, moves through the forest as silent as a mouse... no, even more silent, as silent as three mice, seeking his next target. Ah-ha! I knew that I walked out to the forest today for a reason. What a beautiful sailboat! That kid doesn't look rich, but-- look at that boat. If I can just get my hands on it-- Poof! Susumu, Master Thief, a ghost, a breeze, a falling leaf. His parents will buy him another one, right?

(Susumu's spotlight goes out. Kenichi's resumes. This back and forth continues until they are together. )

KENICHI
Sinbad was the perhaps the greatest sailor ever. He sailed the seas seven different times and found seven different fortunes.

SUSUMU
Something is strange about this guy. Who is he talking to? You may ask: who am I talking to? But I have an excellent answer. I am talking to myself, my favorite audience, but he's talking to imaginary people, and that's just weird. If I get closer I'll be able to make out what he's saying...

KENICHI
Sinbad also fought sea monsters. Nowadays, however, sea monsters have gone extinct. Some may say that this makes the oceans safer for adventurers, but I'm not so sure. What if the sea monsters were keeping something really terrible away? What if not having sea monsters is worse than having sea monsters?

SUSUMU
Almost there! Jeesh, this guy sure can talk. I bet he won't even notice his little boat is gone for an hour or more. I was kinda hoping for a challenge...

KENICHI
The absence of sea monsters is but one of the many mysteries that I, Kenichi, the greatest sailor since Sinbad, will investigate on my first voyage. Here, hold this.

(Kenichi picks up the sailboat and hands it to Susumu who has finally crept behind him. The rest of the stage fills with light.)
I need to find a place to put my boat into the water.

SUSUMU
Sinbad was a terrible sailor!

KENICHI
What do you mean?

SUSUMU
He wrecked every single time he sailed. He only had adventures because he never got to where he was going. He was just a salesman with weird luck. And after he got rich, he just gave up.

KENICHI
I will never give up.

SUSUMU
Now Alladin is a better hero. He lives by his wits, like me, Susumu, Master Thief. What's your name?

KENICHI
Kenichi, World's Greatest Sailor. I'm a shipwright too, although not as great as Mr Ouchi. I built that boat myself. This will be her first time in the water. Here, this will be perfect.

(Susumu brings the boat to the water's edge and together they set it free. The boat sails happily and slowly but-- rocks await it.)

SUSUMU
Kenichi! You're a genius! Look at her go... oh, oh no. She's stuck on the rocks... she's taking on water, quick, quick.

KENICHI
….No. No... I worked so hard...
(Kenichi faints but Susumu half catches him.)

SUSUMU
We can save the boat, come on!
(Susumu tries to rouse Kenichi and save the boat at the same time, but they become tangled up and both fall over.)
Get off me! What's happened to you?
(Susumu tries to pick Kenichi up, pinches him, does whatever he can think of to rouse his new friend. Nothing works.)
At least tell me where you live so I can get your family!

KENICHI
...Ihave no family...

SUSUMU
No family? Who is this kid?

He mentioned Mr Ouchi. I'll go get Mr. Ouchi-- although... He won't be happy to see me.

(Susumu runs off stage, and continues to run back and forth until he reaches Mr Ouchi and the workers.)

Mr. Ouchi! Mr. Ouchi!

MR OUCHI
What? Oh, it's you! I told you never to come back here. What's your scheme this time?

SUSUMU
There's this kid-- he won't get up. He mentioned your name... I didn't know who else to--

MR OUCHI
This isn't a trick?

SUSUMU
On my grandmother's grave.

MR OUCHI
Okay, where is he?

SUSUMU
Follow me if you can keep up!
(Susumu, Mr. Ouchi, and the workers all retrace Susumu's path-- some better than others.)
Here he is. We were sailing that boat over there, but it started to sink, and then he just collapsed.

MR OUCHI
Oh, it's Kenichi Horie.

SUSUMU
You know him!

MR OUCHI
We should get his mother.

SUSUMU
His mother? But he said “...I have no family...” Well, you go find her and I'll stay with the kid until you get back.

MR OUCHI
I don't know where they live. Kenichi just visits the shipyard sometimes. They must live close to the harbor.

SUSUMU
That's no help. What are you going to do, run through the streets screaming her name?

MR OUCHI
No, I'm not. You are. Now, you little thief! Her name is Mrs. Horie. Run!
(Exit Susumu. His voice is heard shouting periodically. Mr. Ouchi sits next to Kenichi)
Well, Kenichi. What has happened to you? You're breathing. Your heart is beating, one two three four. Did something scare you? Was it Susumu?

(The workers, who have finally arrived, attempt to rouse Kenichi, who is a limp noodle. This proceeds until Kenichi is quite compromised and Mr. Ouchi steps in.)
Who told you to come! What am I paying you mongrels for? Let him go! No! Not like that! Gently! Back to work! Back to work!

(The workers scatter and vanish. Susumu enters walking backwards.)

SUSUMU
Mrs. Hooooooooorieeeeeeee! Mrs. Hooooooooooooorie! Mrs. Hooooooo-- whoa!
(Susumu, stumbles and falls over the prone figure of Kenichi.)
Oh. It's you. Hey, hold on Mr. Ouchi-- I've been calling all over. I must have gotten a little lost. Are you sure you don't want to go?
(Mr. Ouchi growls threateningly)
Eeeeek! Mrs. Hoooorieeeeeeee!
(Exit Susumu yet again.)

MR OUCHI
What am I, an old bachelor, ready to retire and think only fine and noble thoughts, doing here? I guess that is the way of the world. A man is finally ready to go, and he is called back. And others... are gone before they've even tasted life, let alone had their fill. A widow, a bachelor, soldiers-- all ground up in the mill of life in their own way. What about you, Kenichi, what is so heavy on your shoulders? Why won't you get up?
(Susumu enters leading Mrs. Horie and Hiroko.)

SUSUMU
He's right over here, Mrs. Horie.
(Mrs. Horie rushes to her son.)
MRS HORIE
Kenichi, Kenichi. What happened? Can you talk?

MR OUCHI
He hasn't been talking, Mrs. Horie, but his--

MRS HORIE
Mr. Ouchi! Where you here? Did you see what happened?

MR OUCHI
No, the boy, Susumu, brought me here, apparently--

MRS HORIE
You, Susumu, is it? Did you see what-- did you do anything to Kenichi?

SUSUSMU
Do anything to him? I've run across Nishinomiya three of four time trying to help him. I'm Kenichi's best friend.

MRS HORIE
Okay Susumu, it is Susumu, right? Please tell me everything.

SUSUMU
Well, after I decided not to steal his sailboat, Kenichi and I made friends and I helped him put his boat in the water. It sailed like a dream... until it didn't. It got snagged over there and began to take on water. Then Kenichi just... went all noodle-y. I remembered he mentioned Mr. Ouchi and we've... had dealings... so I fetched him, and then he told me to run through the streets shouting your name, which was actually really fun, and now here we are.

MRS HORIE
He just collapsed?

SUSUMU
Went all noodle-y.

MR OUCHI
His breathing sounds good, and his heart rate is normal. I don't know what else to do... I'm a shipwright, not a doctor.

HIROKO
I know what's wrong with him!

SUSUMU
You do?

HIROKO
Hi! I'm Hiroko. I'm Kenichi's sister.

SUSUMU
A pleasure, Miss Hiroko.

HIROKO
He's just lazy!

ALL
Lazy?

MRS HORIE
But Kenichi is always working, Hiroko. Something must be wrong with him.

MR OUCHI
And he never stops asking me questions.

SUSUMU
He told me he built that boat all by himself...

HIROKO
I think I know my big brother pretty well. Watch this.

(Hiroko sits heavily on Kenichi's chest and squeezes his nose.)
Hey! You lazy bum! Get up!

KENICHI
Mmmmrmhmm... off me...

HIROKO
Make me!

KENICHI
Get...off...me... so tired...

HIROKO
No. I like it here. If you're not going to get up, you'll be my chair.

KENICHI
Nuuuugggna.

HIROKO
Okay, Kenichi. I didn't want to have to do this.
(Hiroko licks her finger, slowly and thoroughly sticks it in Kenichi's ear. Kenichi lurches to his feet.)

KENICHI
Gah! Oh, ick, gross. That's my ear! Oh... Wait, what happened? Why is everyone here?

SUSUMU
You had some trouble, Kenichi, after your boat sank.

KENICHI
My boat!

SUSUMU
So I ran and got everyone to help. I didn't think to lick my finger and put it in your ear though. That's genius!

MRS HORIE
Are you okay Kenichi? Do you remember anything?

KENICHI
No-- it's like I was another person. Someone... lazy. It was terrible. And there's my boat, sinking, lost. What did I do wrong? Ahem-- I am very sorry to have bothered everyone. Please forgive me. I will work even harder from now on.

MR OUCHI
Don't be too hard on yourself, Kenichi. You have your whole life to fill with regrets. I'm glad you're feeling better. Mrs. Horie--

MRS HORIE
Mr Ouchi. I can't thank you enough for leaving your shipyard to help my son. He must be a nuisance.

MR OUCHI
Yes, well. I am a very busy man.

SUSUMU
Hey Kenichi, Hiroko, they're flying kites over there. Let's go watch!

HIROKO
I love kites!

KENICHI
Kites are a little like boats. Maybe I could learn something...

(The children depart, excitedly, the stage.)
MRS HORIE
Well, I can assure you that Kenichi will not bother you any more. I've given him too much freedom. It's hard raising two children without--

MR OUCHI
Mrs Horie! I'm afraid you misunderstand. Please don't keep Kenichi away. A day isn't complete without his visit. I've never known a boy with such a keen interest in sailing. He is welcome any time. And if you would ever like to come along, to, um, keep him out of trouble, you, um, you can.

MRS HORIE
You are too kind, Mr. Ouchi. But I think one Horie is more than enough. I should go join the children. I'm still worried about Kenichi's fit. Goodbye, Mr. Ouchi.

MR OUCHI
May good luck haunt your days, Mrs. Horie.

MRS HORIE
That would be nice.
(MRS HORIE EXITS)

MR OUCHI
There she goes. Quiet down, old heart. The world doesn't need any more adventures from you. Those are rough seas and you're hardly shipshape. Leave it to the young, like Kenichi. There's something about that boy. Something otherworldly. How far do you think he'll go?

No comments: